Former Briton Car Works, Stewart St.
- HER Number: 13670
- Site Name: Former Briton Car Works, Stewart St.
- Monument Type:
- Associated Periods:
- Format: Building
- Description: These works were originally part of the Briton Motor Co. works, between 1909 and 1913, when they moved to large new premises in Lower Walsall St. The Stewart St works were taken over by Charles Hayward, who made sidecars for A.J.S motorcycles, and later Sunbeam. It became the largest sidecar manufacturing plant in the world, and in 1920 was taken over by A.J.S. who moved sidecar production to the former Briton works in Lower Walsall St.The works were then used by A.J.S for their expanding wireless production, and in 1928 sold to the Symphony Gramophone Co. and used for the production of radiograms.
The frontage building of the works is a simple brick struture with recessed panels between shallow brick pilasters. Architectural detail is minimal, all first floor windows have been replaced, and the ground floor substantially compromised by the creation of large rectangular window openings with metal roller shutters.(1)
- Terms:Car Factory
|1||Bibliographic reference: Upson Anne. 2005. All Saints and Blakenhall Community Development Area, Wolverhampton: Detailed Historic Landscape Characterisation.|
- Related Interventions:
- For more information contact:
Black Country, Wolverhampton HER
- Grid Reference: 391297 297921