'Glass Works Schools'
- Reference Number: FP-CH/5/3/4
- Date: 1842 - 1845
- Level: File
- Extent: 10 items
- Creator: Chance Family
- Description: Comprises: original and copy of proposals as to the building and management of the Glass Works Schools, dated December 1842, signed by Robert Lucas Chance and William Chance, with reference to James Timmins Chance's involvement; and a draft and final copy of a notice detailing further proposals for the Boy's school in Spon Lane which was associated with the Glass Works, Smethwick and Alkali Works, Oldbury, signed William and James Timmins Chance, dated October 1845. Also includes: a letter from J.F. Chance (James Frederick) to his brother George regarding the aforementioned items; and a piece of paper listing items relating to Chance Schools, namely 'Lease to Harbourne School Board 17 Jan 1887', 'Conveyance to Smethwick School Board 31 Dec 1898' and 'Conveyance Smethwick Corporation to Chance Bus[?] Ld 24 Jan 1916', though these were not enclosed. Found in an envelope addressed to G.F. (George Ferguson) Chance Esq, Clent Grove, near Stourbridge, with the title as given crayoned on it, which has been retained.
- Related People:
- Access Status: Open
- Contact: Sandwell Archives, Sandwell Community History and Archives Service
- in such a poor physical state that looking at them would cause damage
- documents containing sensitive personal information about living people
- on loan to another institution
- known to have existed but never received
- temporarily mislaid
- most conveniently consulted in another format, such as on microfilm
- a collection of files or an object rather than a single file or item that can be consulted in the search room
- a library book available on open shelving
Sorry, but this item is not avaliable for the copying service
Sorry, this document cannot be ordered.
There are several reasons why documents cannot be ordered. They may be:
In order to ask us direct questions about specific documents and items, we do need you to use your Reader account, please register with us if you do not yet have one. We would like you to register even if you have no intention of visiting us at the Archive, thank you.