Titford Branch Canal, Langley, Oldbury
- Reference Number: p/2067
- Date: c 1956
- Level: Item
- History Note: The Titford Branch Canal, is part of the Birmingham Canal Navigation, and branches off Brindley's Old Main Line at Oldbury. The canal is just under two miles in length and opened to traffic in 1837. The canal leaves Oldbury a climbs a flight of locks, known as the 'Jim Crow Locks', and heads towards Langley and Titford Pool. The canal is fed by the canal feeder arm that comes from the Rotton Park Reservoir, Edgbaston, Birmingham. At Titford Pool, there is another canal arm that branches off the Titford Branch Canal, called the Causeway Green Arm. The canal once served the collieries on the Rowley Hills, and Pratt's Brickyard, as well as the factories and maltings in Langley. (Courtesy of the T. W. King Collection held at Dudley Archives & Local History Service).
- Description: From this position on the Titford Branch Canal at Langley, near Oldbury, can be seen Langley Forge from Uncle Ben's Bridge (which carries Langley Green Road). Moored barges can also be seen on the canal aswell as stockpiles of material on the canal bank from the forge.
- Copyright: Mrs. R. Collins
- Access Status: Open
- Contact: Dudley Archives,
- in such a poor physical state that looking at them would cause damage
- documents containing sensitive personal information about living people
- on loan to another institution
- known to have existed but never received
- temporarily mislaid
- most conveniently consulted in another format, such as on microfilm
- a collection of files or an object rather than a single file or item that can be consulted in the search room
- a library book available on open shelving
Image orderingRequest this item through the copying service
Sorry, this document cannot be ordered.
There are several reasons why documents cannot be ordered. They may be:
In order to ask us direct questions about specific documents and items, we do need you to use your Reader account, please register with us if you do not yet have one. We would like you to register even if you have no intention of visiting us at the Archive, thank you.
Alternatively, you can order this image from our shop.
Click "Order this Image" to proceed to the ordering options on how you would like your image.